Sunday 5 August 2018

05/08/2018 Pied Flycatcher at Seaford in Sussex

Sunday 5 August 2018
Seaford Head, Sussex

With so much movement of Pied Flycatchers reported nationally lately and with at least 6 seen locally  yesterday by Matt Eade, I opted for the early shift on the South Downs at Seaford Head.  Thankfully my efforts met with some success!
  • First stop was Harry's Bush where there was little happening.  
  • On the way back to the main track I met a couple who had just photographed one in the scrub by the barn next to the car park.  
  • However I decided to head down the hill towards Hope Gap first . Within minutes I came across some lively bird activity among which was a Pied Flycatcher.  It flew off before I could get my scope on it but not before I enjoyed good views in my bins.  A lady had joined me and she too enjoyed the views.
  • I then returned to the car park area but had no luck again so I decided to venture down towards Hope Gap once more. 
  • Quite soon I came across Bob Self and Katie who had just seen one in the nearby sycamore tree having seen it earlier on the footpath.  We then saw the bird flitting around in the tree then flycatching from the right hand end  Katie and Bob soon went off but their friend Derek joined us and we continued to enjoy frequent but fleeting views.  
Well worth the 05.30 alarm setting!  

This was a year tick for me - normally I would have seen these birds in Cumbria at the start of the breeding season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.