Saturday 12 November 2016

12/11/2016 Twitching Ducks

12 November 2016
With rain forecast for most of the day it had to be a day with the ducks.  I was already contemplating going to see the ferruginous duck in Hertfordshire when news came through of a pair of juvenile velvet scoters  in nearby Buckinghamshire.  That clinched it - I was off on my travels, twitching ducks.



Buckinghamshire
  • I decided to start by going as far north as I could where the weather was better.  At Willen Lake, near Milton Keynes, the 2 velvet scoters were present with one close by and the other distant.  This had to be the nearest I have ever been to this species - normally I would see them off the coast.
  • Also present was a superb drake goldeneye, looking majestic in the water.
  • A drake red-crested pochard and an accompanying female were a welcome surprise and added colour to a dull day.

I arrived at 12.30 and was done by 13.15 - a really good start.







Now it was off to Tring in Hertfordshire, a short drive south west, of just over 20 miles, to look for the drake ferruginous duck. This bird has been around for some time now.


Hertfordshire
  • At Wilstone Reservoir I had a huge area to search and after half an hour I was getting nowhere,  Thankfully a local birder turned up but was looking at an area a long way from me.  I made my way over to him and after a while he found the aforesaid duck.  It was about 50 metres away with some gulls and a few wigeon.  The lighting was poor so the views were not brilliant.


Very pleasing outcome - thanks mainly to my local birder.



Additions to BUBO UK 2016 Year List:
Velvet scoter   (254)
Ferruginous duck   (255)


Good birding today despite the awful weather.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.