Monday 18 July 2016

16/07/ to 17/07/2016 Sabine's Gull in Derbyshire

Saturday 16 July 2016


Carr Vale NR, near Mansfield

  • Arrived mid afternoon, in good time to see the sabine's gull that has been around for several days.  Stayed for over an hour to watch this bird forage in the shallow pond and take flight occasionally to relocate to a new position. 






Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Year List:
Sabine's Gull   (226)





Adult's should be on the breeding grounds round the Arctic Circle now whereas second calendar year birds are thought to stay on the wintering grounds in the southern oceans.  





Sunday 17 July 2016

Anglesey, North Wales

Up at the crack of dawn, travelled to South Stack, arriving around 9.30 a.m.

  • I was greeted by a pair of choughs as I drove up towards the visitor's centre.  They continued to show up at regular intervals throughout the morning.  


  • Try as I did, I was unable to see any manx shearwaters out at sea - my first disappointment of the day


  • I relocated to Holyhead Harbour for the afternoon to look for the black guillemots - my main reason for making the trip. I so wanted to see this species in summer plumage.  Incredibly I could not find any!




Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Bird List:
Sabine's Gull   (224)
Chough   (225)


Addition to BUBO UK Life List
Sabine's Gull   (316)



What started as a great weekend finished in a disappointing way.  Never mind - 2 lifers in the space of a week, at this time of year can't be bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.