Monday 11 July 2016

11/07/2016 Nightjars again!

Monday 11 July 2016
Old Airstrip, Ashdown Forest

Back on the trail of the nightjars after a couple of weeks break.  I thought I'd start at the Old Airstrip as the lighting conditions are better there and it promised to be a bright night.

It was not until 9.40 p.m.that I heard the nightjar churring and it was to be the only sound I heard all night.  I was standing at TQ 424303 at the far end of the airstrip, 50 metres before the point where the path heads down the hill.   I couldn't pick up the nightjar in flight after the churring stopped so I began to wander trying to find it.

After 10 minutes I saw it flying close by, to the north of the airstrip, and I enjoyed brilliant views of it until gone 10 o' clock.  Unusually, the nightjar flew without making the usual "cuick,cuick" sound.

I checked the other end of the airstrip (car park end) but couldn't find any other nightjars.




A steady return to my normal routines!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.