Friday 27 February 2015

27/02/2015 Ferruginous Duck at Slimbridge

Friday 27th February 2015
Slimbridge Wetlands Centre

This was forecast to be the best day for the next few days so I decided to go for a long trip.  I have never been to Slimbridge and with the added attraction of a Ferrungious Duck on site it was an obvious choice.

  • I made an early start and so was on site by 10.30 - just enough time to miss the first sighting of the target bird.  The next opportunity was some 2 hours later and I missed this one too - I was watching White-fronted Geese and Common Cranes

  • Learning my lesson, I stayed put and waited for the next showing.  Eventually, around 14.00, I got my sighting as the duck appeared on the grass at the far end of the lake before disappearing into the reeds again.  I have to confess that I would have missed this one too if it were not for an eagle-eyed, fellow birder who made the call.

  • Other interesting birds present were Water Rail, Marsh Harrier and Peregrine.

  • On the drive home I saw at least 2 Red Kites, flying low over the M4 motorway close to where it meets the M25



Addition to BUBO UK 2015 Bird List:
Ferrungious Duck   (166)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.