Monday 27 October 2014

27/10/2014 Red-breasted Flycatcher at Beachy Head

Monday 27th October 2010
Beachy Head
Old Trapping Area

I was so relieved to see this lovely Red-breasted Flycatcher at noon today.  It arrived on the south coast on 22nd October the day my sister Joan went home and the day before our Norfolk trip so I thought I had missed my opportunity.  Thankfully it hung around until I got home so I got my first chance to see it today.




Red-breasted Flycatcher - male
SOS site


The views were terrific with bright sunshine and the bird not 10 metres away from the assembled birders.  This was yet another "lifer" for me and another step closer towards the magical figure of 300 UK species.



"The red-breasted flycatcher  breeds in eastern Europe and across central Asia and is migratory, wintering in south Asia. It is a regular passage migrant in western Europe."



"This little bird , who will eventually try to get to Asia, was an absolute pleasure to be around.  Fingers crossed he makes it."




Addition to UK 2014 List:
Red-breasted Flycatcher   (269)

Addition to UK Life List:
Red-breasted Flycatcher   (281)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.