Monday 24 March 2014

17/03/2014 to 24/03/2014 A Birding Miscellany

17/03/2014 to 24/03/2014   A Birding Miscellany


Monday 18th March 2014
Tenby
South Wales

I made the 550+ mile round trip to South Wales expecting to "twitch" the Great Spotted Cuckoo that had been around for over a week and showing well at Tenby,  South Wales..  I waited until 10.00 to get confirmation that the bird was around  before setting off on the near 5 hour journey.  

When I arrived and joined a group up from Cornwall the cuckoo had not been seen since 13.00 and despite a 3 hour search we were unable to find it again.  I had missed it by a couple f hours but the guys from Cornwall were a mere 5 minutes too late which was a tough call for them.  Since then there have been mixed reports with the bird disappearing for huge chunks of time.

Great Spotted Cuckoo
Library picture
This was a huge disappointment; the Great Spotted Cuckoo is delightful to look at and I was so close.  Never mind - maybe I will get another chance some day!




Tuesday 19th March 2014
My Patch at Churlwood in the Ashdown Forest

After yesterdays marathon to South Wales I decided to stay local and make a long overdue visit to my patch in the Ashdown Forest.  There were no surprises and the highlights included 5 Buzzards, a couple of Long-tailed Tits and a lovely pair of Stonechats.

It was really nice to be back on home ground again - and not getting soaked!


Wednesday 18th March 2014
New Forest
With Alan and Shaun,  East Grinstead RSPB Local Group

Another out of county trip, this time back to the New Forest in Hampshire.  Friends Alan and Shaun wanted to see the Goshawks so I volunteered to drive them.  

I persuaded them to go really early - 06.00 so we could look for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Hawfinches, Bramblings and the Tawny Owl at Mark Ash Wood where Paul and I had fantastic success a couple of weeks ago.  However we saw none of these this time out - what a difference!

We were lucky with Goshawks at Piper's Wait; there were at least 3 displaying and we managed to get at least a dozen good sightings from 10.00 to 12.00.  Thanks goodness the main job was accomplished.

After a nice pub lunch in Nomansland we headed off to Blashford Lakes, a new venue for Shaun and Alan.  We managed to see the Red-crested Pochard, Goldeneye and the Goosanders which went down well.  Unfortunately the Mealy Redpoll had moved on and the activity at the feeders was feeble compared to the vibrancy Paul and I found earlier in the month.

A good trip, seeing the Goshawks, but nothing special as nearly all the added "specials" were not there any more!  Alan and Shaun, however, enjoyed the visit.




Thursday 20th March 2014
Ashdown Forest

There was no sign of the male Hen Harrier at the usual place this evening - I think it may have gone.  I will try again soon.






Friday 21st March 2014
Arlington Reservoir
With Sue, Chris and Anne

In lovely weather, we all strolled around the reservoir.  There were no special birds around but we did manage to see a White Wagtail in the field where the ponies were.


Monday 24th March 2014
Ashdown Forest

After getting some local advice from Alastair in the Ashdown Bird Group I got up early and joined Alan at 07.00 to look for the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.  From the off we could hear it drumming but we had to wait until after 09.00 before seeing it.  The views were good, but brief as the bird moved on quickly.  This was the first time Alan had seen this bird in this country, after many years of birding. For me it was my second sighting this year!

I went back on 26th March with Sue and Alan N from our group.  The woodpecker could be heard drumming and came very close to us but we were unable to spot it.




I went to the usual place to look for the Hen Harrier at 16.45 and after 90 minutes it had not turned up adding further to my prediction that it has left the area and moved north. 


I subsequently learned that the Harrier is still around and was seen last on 28th March about 3.30pm which means it has probably been going to roost before I arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.