Saturday 1 March 2014

01/02/2014. Staying Local. Black Redstart.

Saturday 1st March 2014
Newhaven Tidemills and then Ashdown Forest

I wanted to stay local today with a big day ahead of me on Sunday in the New Forest.

I spent the early morning looking for the Black Redstart at Newhaven, Tidemills.  In glorious weather, I had to be patient until eventually I was successful.  A fellow birder signalled from a point 60 metres to the east of me to indicate the bird was half way between us on a fence.  There in front of me was a fantastic male in full plumage.

Black Redstart
Library picture


Not far away was the female.  Both birds then flew towards me and landed in the bushes nearby.  As they say - everything comes to he who waits.

Also seen was a Greenfinch, an Oystercatcher and lots of Black-headed Gulls.


After lunch, at home, I spent the afternoon in the Ashdown Forest on my patch at Churlwood before ending the day waiting for the male Hen Harrier to return to it's roost.  The main highlights from my patch were the 8 Redwings, a Green Woodpecker and a pair of Stonechats.


Addition to 2014 UK Bird List:
Black Redstart   (175)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.