Saturday 2 September 2023

Twitching in West Sussex - Osprey, Spotted Flycatchers and Red-backed Shrike

Monday 28th August 2023

It was time to service my year list so I travelled west for a late afternoon twitch of some of the birds that had been seen there in the last few days.


  • First stop was Thorney Island for the Osprey.  It had been seen regularly at the Great Deep and, true to form, one was perched on a post close to the landing lights.  It had its back to me as I watched from the gates at the eastern end.  I walked back towards Thornham Lane to get a closer look but it soon took flight and disappeared behind the bushes and despite my best efforts I was unable to locate it again.

  • Next stop was Church Norton where I was hoping to see some flycatchers.  There was no sign of any Pied Flycatchers but I was more fortunate with the Spotted Flycatchers.  There was one on a post in the field behind the hide.  It was showing well, dropping to the ground occasionally before returning to the post.  When I had a look around the churchyard,  I saw two more flying in and out of the bare tree along the edge of the cemetery.

  • My final port of call on the way home was Mill Hill near Shoreham where I was fortunate to get great views of the Red-backed Shrike, down the hill, close to the seat, just 50 metres or so west of the car park - exactly where Bernie F had reported it earlier on the Sussex WhatsApp site.

A most productive twitch!

      2023 species count = 191

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.