Thursday 29 December 2022

Purple Sandpipers at Newhaven, Sussex

Saturday 17th December 2022

Newhaven East Pier, Sussex

I decided to head down to the coast this afternoon, looking for purple sandpipers  at my favourite site for them - Newhaven Harbour.  High tide was due around 5 pm when it would be dark so I arrived around 3 pm hoping they would show on the rising tide.

They did of course!  

  • I saw two lots of 2 as I made my way along the pier and a group of 4 on the return leg.  In each case they were walking on the concrete supports below me, just above the water line.  
  • Occasionally a couple would fly away, sometimes out to sea and sometimes just to a new position further along the pier.
  • The turnstones, 6 +of them, were much more gregarious and paraded around the top of the pier just a few metres away.

A much appreciated species!

Year total = 216

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.