Thursday 26 August 2021

Whinchat at Birling Gap

Thursday 26th August 2021

Birling Gap, Sussex


I found a couple of hours, late afternoon, to go down to the South Coast looking for signs of autumn migration.

  • Within 1 minute I had some good luck when I scanned the wire fence N and E of the main coast road by the main car park and found a cracking Whinchat,  It was on the top wire,  then dropped to the ground before returning to its original position.  
  • I then drove to the old trapping area, hoping to find a Pied Flycatcher.  Alas I was unsuccessful but I did spot a group of Goldfinches and a Whitethroat in the trees 50 metres uphill from the car park.
  • A good look around Shooters Bottom gave me more Whitethroats and a pair of Stonechats but little else of note.
  • My final throw of the dice saw me crossing the road from the layby at Shooters Bottom and heading north for 200 metres or so to check out the valley for more Whinchats.  Alas, once again, I was unsuccessful but I did hear and then spot a Raven.



It was a tad too windy and overcast to bring out the birds - but well worth the effort. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.