Thursday 10 December 2020

09/12/2020 Dipped on Rustic Bunting and Little Bunting in Surrey

 Thursley Common
Surrey

  • I jumped at the chance of a "lifer" and targeted Thursley Common in Surrey for a rustic bunting.  Also, potentially, there was a chance of a little bunting - not a "lifer" but still a rare bird.  The news coming out online also gave the possibility of a great grey shrike.
  • Unfortunately I arrived too late (around 2.15 pm) and all of the above had been seen earlier but were not showing.  I stayed till late but had no luck.

  • By way of compensation I saw several flocks of crossbills.






Sidlesham
Chichester
West Sussex


  • On the way to Surrey I called off at Sidlesham in West Sussex to twitch the richards pipit.  This was a text book visit - the bird was present at the reported place and it was showing really well in the corner of the field.



Tried to do too much today - I should have gone to Thursley Common first.  Hope the birds stay a bit longer so I can try again.!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.