Thursday 3 September 2020

02/09/2020 My first Dotterel in Sussex

Wednesday 2nd September 2020

near Ditchling Beacon, Sussex

After cancelling yet another Norfolk Tour, I was pleased to read on RBA of 3 dotterel in Sussex, just down the road near Ditchling Beacon.  Dotterel is a species that is very rare for me, having last seen one on a trip to Danby Beacon in Yorkshire with the East Grinstead RSPB Local Group in 2016.


courtesy of Lee Evans and Twitter


  • I arrived around 3 pm to find that the birds had moved and temporarily "lost".  After looking down the east side of the stony field I returned to the original site where the birds were showing once again.
  • One was showing prominently just below the horizon, sitting peacefully - enjoying a rest after their earlier activity - which, unfortunately happened before I arrived.
  • Initially this bird was the centre of the discussion until someone with a better angle spotted the second bird immediately behind.  
  • Soon after the third bird was located only a few metres away but once more, stationary.


By now there were too many birders arriving so I decided to leave and go back into lockdown - alas missing out on seeing these lovely birds moving around.





A first for me in Sussex and my 200th bird of the year!

In this covid-tarnished year it's a landmark I didn't expect to reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.