Tuesday 26 March 2019

26/03/2019 Weirwood Day and a pair of Garganey in the afternoon.

Tuesday 26 March 2019

Another glorious day at Weirwood. 
  • Snake Survey No 2 produced no snakes but a good show of voles, mice, a shrew, toads and a frog. 
  • At least 6 Snipe were disturbed by us as we carried out the survey.
  • Highlight of the morning however was the sight of the first Bluebells - we saw at least 3!  The place was bursting with life so I expect the numbers to explode later on this week.

In the afternoon I dashed down to Charleston Reedbeds to see the pair of Garganey that had been there for over 24 hours. 
  • They were showing well all the time I was there.  Paul Stevens kindly allowed me to use his photograph of the drake swimming on the flooded field east of the river.

courtesy of Paul Stevens
 
 
 
 With time to spare I decided to go to Hope Gap and look for my first Wheatear of the year. 
  • Unfortunately things didn't work out for me but I did have some consolation by way of sightings of a Raven, several Meadow Pipits, at least 2 Skylarks and several Stonechats. 



 
 Can you imagine a more delightful backdrop as you look for, but fail, to see migrant birds!
 
Seven Sisters
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.