Wednesday 1 November 2017

01/11/2017 Rock Thrush Twitch

Wednesday 1st November 2017
Blorenge, Gwent, South Wales

This was my first opportunity to go birding since the Yorkshire trip, so I decided to treat myself.  The Rock Thrush seemed to be lingering in Wales ready for my visit so how could I resist.  On a bright sunny day I left home mid morning and arrived in Wales just after 2 pm.  

Thankfully there had been several sightings earlier in the day so confidence was high.  The site was Gilwern Hill, some 1300ft up in the beautiful Brecon Beacons National park near Blaenavon in Gwent.  As I made my way to the quarry I met a couple who had just seen the bird and they advised me to stay on top of the quarry where the bird was showing from 50 metres or so.  


  • They were right - although the bird was not showing as I arrived.  Within minutes it appeared on the rocks ahead of me and I was able to get superb scope views.  It had a really mottled appearance with white fringed uppermost feathers and a rich orange, yet mottled, underparts.
Rock Thrush
courtesy of  South Wales Argus

The Rock Thrush was a first for Gwent and only the third in Wales - the last one being in the 1980's.  




  • The common rock thrush (Monticola saxatilis), formerly rufous-tailed rock thrush or rock thrush, is a chat belonging to the family Muscicapidae. It was formerly placed in the family Turdidae. The scientific name is from Latin. Monticola is from mons, montis "mountain", and colere, "to dwell", and saxatilis means "rock-frequenting", from saxum, "stone".
  • It breeds in southern Europe across central Asia to northern China. This species is strongly migratory, all populations wintering in Africa south of the Sahara. It is an uncommon visitor to northern Europe. Its range has contracted somewhat at the periphery in recent decades due to habitat destruction.

Back on track with a "lifer"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.