Monday 12 June 2017

12/06/2017 Squacco Heron on Denge Marsh

Monday 12 June 2017
Denge Marsh, Dungeness, Kent

Andrew sent me a text re a Squacco Heron on Denge Marsh so off I went on yet another twitch!

This one was not as easy as it looked.  A road closure on the top road to Rye meant I arrived late and found I had just missed a flight view of the heron from Springfield Bridge.

Some 2 hours were to pass before I got my next chance when the bird showed for a brief flight after it was flushed by marauding Marsh Harrier.  It went to ground quickly before flying again towards the power station.

A couple of us followed it onto the reserve and 15 minutes later we were rewarded with great views, including a scope view, of the bird in flight and on the ground.


The heron is normally found in the Mediterranean or Middle East and is only seen in Britain about once every couple of years.

Thanks Andrew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.