Friday 5 May 2017

05/05/2017 Using the M25 RSPB Rainham Marshes and Staines Reservoirs

Friday 5 May 2017

 I decided to use the M25 as my main route into birding today


RSPB Rainham Marshes, Essex
First call was to RSPB Rainham Marshes to look for the Wood Sandpipers that had been seen a couple of hours earlier.  
  • After a little effort, I got a good, but distant view of one from a  point a few metres from the visitor's centre.  Not satisfied with this view I moved further round to the next viewing point where a second bird gave a superb, closer view and I could see the prominent supercilium much better.
  • Next step was to exit the reserve and head out NW, for 500 metres or so, along the banks of the RiverThames to the bay where there were some magnificent Grey Plover,  Bar-tailed Godwits as well as a couple of Knot.  Many of these birds were in stunning summer plumage.  This was probably the highlight of the trip.



Staines Reservoirs in Surrey
After a couple of hours at RSPB Rainham Marshes I took the long, anti-clockwise way round the M25 to home so I could call in at Staines Reservoirs.

After parking in the Town Lane car park, I walked along the path dividing the 2 reservoirs.  
  • I was delighted to get my first sighting of a Swift - in fact there were 50+ flying around the southern area making for a wonderful sight.
  • Whilst admiring the Swifts, I caught sight of my first Black Tern and very quickly I found another five.  What a rewarding time - 6 Black Terns and over 50 Swifts in the same scope view.



A great way to spend the late morning and early afternoon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.