Monday 10 October 2016

10/10/2016 Long-billed Dowitcher at Oare Marshes

Monday 10 October 2016
Oare Marshes, Kent

This afternoon I got my first chance for weeks to go birding.  So off I went to Oare Marshes to twitch the long-billed dowitcher.


  • Thankfully, as I arrived, the bird had just relocated from among a huge group of godwits to a much nearer and exposed position on the extreme right of the largest island which was eminently visible from the road.  So for a good 20 minutes or more I  enjoyed splendid views of this rare American wader.
  • It then flew 30 metres to the left to join a second large group - this time predominantly lapwings.  Although it was nearer, the views were not so good because of the poor lighting.  Nevertheless it continued to show until I left just before  a second bout of heavy showers started. 


Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Bird List:
Long-billed dowitcher   (248)



2 to go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.