Saturday 16 April 2016

16/04/2016 My first Cuckoo of the Year at Old Lodge and my first Woodcock of the Year at Hindleap

Saturday 16 April 2016 

Old Lodge NR
  • I managed to dodge the showers at Old Lodge this morning to see my first Cuckoo of the year.  Initially I heard it in the distance and eventually after several more soundings I managed to see it.  The bird was on a fence beside a Goldfinch and was facing away from me so I was able to get within 20 metres to enjoy superb views.
  • I also managed to find another good Redstart area, close to the MOD boundary at Pippingford.  2 sightings including a smashing close up of a stunning male. 

Very satisfied with my 90 minute visit.


Hindleap:
  • At sunset I saw my first Woodcock of the year at Hindleap 
Another very satisfactory short visit.



Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Year List:
Cuckoo   (176)
Woodcock   (177)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.