Friday 19 September 2014

19/09/2014 Barred Warbler in Essex. Yet another "lifer"

Friday 19th September 2014
Gunner's Park NR
Shoeburyness, Essex
TQ 931841
 
I decided to "twitch" in Essex today and combine it with a visit to Collier Row to do some family business.  A 2 hour drive from home, after lunch, meant a late 4.30 p.m. start in Essex.
 
The Barred Warbler was first reported yesterday morning in Gunners Park NR in Shoeburyness near Southend.   When it was confirmed as present again today it was a "no brainer" for me to go and watch it.  This passage migrant, probably a juvenile, is almost certainly making it's way from breeding grounds in central and eastern Europe to overwinter in tropical eastern Africa.
 
Weather conditions should have been most favourable with low cloud and a north easterly breeze but the extensive sea mist complicated the situation somewhat.  The warbler had been seen on and off in the hour before I arrived but it took some time for it to reappear and the views I got were fleeting and highly unsatisfactory.  After 2 hours, just as I was about to pack up, it appeared in all it's glory in the low bushes just 15 metres away, affording me and half a dozen fellow birders a 15 minute slot to wallow in the experience. 
 
Barred Warbler
Library picture

Feeling very relieved but pleased with myself I then dashed down to Collier Row and did what I needed to do in 10 minutes or so and headed off home, arriving back just after 8.30 p.m. 
 

6 hours and over 150 miles by car to see just one bird - wonderful!  All that with no sleep the night before as I had stayed up to follow the
 Scottish Reforendum!

After all it was a new bird for me in the UK!



Addition to UK 2014 Bird List:
Barred Warbler    ( 261)


Addition to UK Birds Life List:
Barred Warbler    ( 207)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.