Wednesday 3 May 2023

White-crowned Sparrow - a lifer

27 April 2023

Hope Gap, Sussex


Thank goodness for the fellowship of Sussex birders.  Having invested so much time looking for the white-crowned sparrow I had given up hope of seeing it.  Fortunately, someone had put some seed out and the bird had responded and was now far more likely to be seen.  Nick B on the Sussex WhatsApp Group suggested that those of us who had earlier dipped on the sparrow should try again as the bird was showing at roughly 15-20 minute intervals.


I picked up this message late afternoon and rang Martin and we both agreed that we would try again in the morning.  No sooner had I put the phone down when I had this great desire to go down immediately.  So off I went.


  • The bird was exactly where we had been looking previously and true to form it didn't take long for it to appear.  What wonderful views we were presented with.  With no Martin or Alison to take photographs I asked a fellow birder if he would share his images and he agreed to use a common contact Simon L to get them to me.  Little did I know what a good photographer Ron was!

courtesy of Ron Knight


courtesy of Ron Knight


courtesy of Ron Knight


courtesy of Ron Knight


I texted Martin and he decided to come down too.  Unfortunately a dog walker had spooked the bird and it had disappeared.  Then it started to rain and it got steadily worse.  What had I done - Martin would arrive soon and get soaked and the bird might not appear at all.  When he arrived I showed him to the site but then I had to leave as I needed to be in Worthing that evening.

  • The rain didn't let up but Martin did get to see the sparrow after a wait of 15 minutes or so - phew!
courtesy of Martin Jeffree


Next evening Alison got to see the bird too so it ended well for all of us.

Thanks to so many people - Nick, Ron, Simon and of course Martin, who despite the drenching took it in good spirits.

Inclusive birding at its best!

2023 species count = 155
UK life list total = 368

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.