Saturday 24 April 2021

w/e 24 April This week's highlights

Monday 19th April 2021

Old Lodge NR

  • Just time for an afternoon jaunt to Old Lodge NR where I finally got to see my first Redstart of the year - a stunning male!


Tuesday 20th April 2021

  • Spent the morning, as usual, with the Weir Wood Work Party doing the weekly snake survey.  Much the same as last week with just 1 grass snake, lots of voles and toads and a few mice and shrews.  On the birding front there were 2 Common Terns flying around at the west end.

  • Earlier, at the Old Airstrip in the Ashdown Forest, I attended an in-service training session with James Adler on Dartford Warbler Surveys.  He passed on some very useful help and demonstrated his ideas practically with a cracking Dartford Warbler sighting and another one heard calling from the heather.  As a bonus I saw my first Whitethroat of 2021.


Wednesday 21st April 2021
  • Another late afternoon session, this time on the path south from Uckfield to Isfield where I encountered my first Nightingale of 2021, singing away in the same bushes as last year.


Thursday 22nd April 2021
  • Spent a delightful 3 hours on a guided tour of Broadwater Warren with Kevin.



Friday 23rd April 2021
  • My afternoon jaunt today saw me in Chichester twitching the Ring-necked Duck at Honer Reservoir.
courtesy of SelseyBirder and Twitter

  • I then moved on to the reserve at Pagham to look at the Spotted Redshank that the Selsey Birders Group had been writing about.
  • I finally finished up at Church Norton and found just 1 Little Tern resting by the edge of the water with lots of Sandwich Terns

Saturday 24th April
  • At Weir Wood Reservoir I finally got to see my first Mandarins of the year with several sightings, mainly males, flying and swimming around.
  • Pride of place however went to the single Arctic Tern seen with the Common Terns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.