Sunday 11 April 2021

Fabulous Birding in Sussex - Goshawks and a Mockingbird

 Thursday 8th April 2021

Crawley Area

I organised a morning visit, with Martin and Shaun, to look for Raptors.  Conditions were just about ideal with bright sunshine and a light breeze.

Pick of the birds was the Goshawk.  We had 1 very good sighting and a second, more distant bird was also most welcome.

Several Red Kites were seen - all giving excellent views.

I saw my first Grey Wagtail of 2021.

A Kestrel and numerous Buzzards completed our Raptor sightings.


News was coming in from Pulborough village of a probable sighting a Northern Mockingbird, thought to be the one that had been causing all kinds of excitement in Devon in the past few days.  



Pulborough Village, West Sussex

By the time I returned home for lunch the sighting was confirmed so I decided to travel the 38 miles or so to twitch this bird.

As I joined the 40-50 birders on the field near the car park, the Northern Mockingbird was showing brilliantly in the bushes in the gardens of the nearby houses.  I spent a fabulous 30 minutes watching this rare UK visitor from the USA during which time it moved around a bit but was always in view.




courtesy of Matt@mostlyscarce and twitter



courtesy of Matt@mostlyscarce and twitter




                                                                                              courtesy of Matt@mostlyscarce and twitter



courtesy of Matt@mostlyscarce and twitter



Matt@mostly scarce shot these pictures from his garden in Pulborough.  

That is some garden tick Matt!

And on your birthday - unbelievable good luck!

Not a lifer for me as I have seen several in Virginia, USA whilst visiting Adam and Jean, but a first for me in the UK and a first for Sussex I hear.


I had to get back home to take the dogs out for their evening walk so I couldn't pop into nearby RSPB Pulborough Brooks to see the Pied Flycatcher.  I hope to see this bird in Cumbria with Brian soon 



  • The northern mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) is the only mockingbird commonly found in North America. 
  • This bird is mainly a permanent resident, but northern birds may move south during harsh weather. 
  • The mockingbird is influential in United States culture, being the state bird of five states, appearing in book titles, songs and lullabies, and making other appearances in popular culture.

  • This species has rarely been observed in Europe. 
  • It was first seen on 23 January 2021 and represents the first record anywhere in Britain or the Western Palearctic in more than 30 years – the last was as far back as 1988.
  • The bird I saw is thought to be the same one.




Best day for some time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.