Monday 15 April 2019

14/04/2019 Another "lifer" - Kentish Plover at Cuckmere Haven, Sussex

Sunday 14 April 2019
Cuckmere Haven, Sussex

  • A real bonus today - a Kentish Plover, right on my doorstep, at Cuckmere Haven.

After visiting a friend in hospital this morning, I checked RBA and was pleased to see a Kentish Plover was still hanging around after being sighted mid morning.

When I arrived around 3.45 pm I met a birder who advised me to view from the path by the edge of the fields rather from the west bank of the river to reduce the effects of the sun.

At the viewing point I met 5 birders who were already looking at the bird.  It was distant, but gave a very clear image.  For the next 30 minutes or so I was able to enjoy the views - and the good company.

courtesy of Chris Ball and Twitter


My 3rd "lifer" this year! 
 
 
 
 
 
Kentish Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus) is a small wader in the plover bird family. Despite its name, this species no longer breeds in Kent, or even Great Britain.
 
 Charadrius alexandrinus is a widespread breeder in coastal areas of western and southern Europe, which accounts for less than a quarter of its global breeding range. Its European breeding population is relatively small (<35,000 pairs), and underwent a moderate decline between 1970-1990. Although some populations were stable or increased during 1990-2000, the species declined across most of its European range-most notably in Spain and Turkey-and underwent a moderate decline (>10%) overall.



Maybe I will get a closer look at one in the future! 

courtesy of Wikipedia
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.