Thursday 11 April 2019

11/04/2019 Blackcaps, Swallows, Black Tern and Redstart

Thursday 11 April 2019

 I decided to go to Old Lodge this afternoon, hoping to see my first Redstart of the year.  As I left the car park, I bumped into Bob J who had just finished on the reserve.  He told me where to go to see the Redstart.  As we were talking Alastair rang Bob J to say there was a Black Tern at Weir Wood Reservoir at the dam end.  I decided to stick to my plan and look for the Redstart and if time permitted I would then move over to Weir Wood to see if the tern was still there.
 
 
Old Lodge NR, Sussex
  • Thankfully the Redstart was still at the place that Bob J had said. It was a stunning male which I first saw on the path by the pond at the bottom of the first hill.  It then flew into a nearby tree where I enjoyed excellent views as it perched on a branch.
  • A couple of Woodlarks were a bonus.  They were feeding on the path as I started to descend the hill.
  • A cronking Raven added more to the occasion.

I wasn't able to hear or see either of the 2 Willow Warblers that Bob J had seen.

By now it was only 5.30 pm so off I went to Weir Wood Reservoir - Bob had rang me again to say the tern was still there.  Unfortunately I got caught up in the traffic going into Forest Row but after a delay of 25 minutes or so I finally arrived.


 
Weir Wood Reservoir, Sussex
Bob J had stayed behind to meet me but the tern had just gone AWOL!  
  • Thankfully it was only temporary and we soon found the Black Tern again.  It was on the north side flying east over the water.  From then on I monitored its flight.  Because of the backdrop of the fading sun, the light at certain places meant we lost sight of it at times but we just waited till it reappeared further along its route where the lighting was much better.
  • I also saw my first Swallows of the year - at least 20 were skimming over the water.
  • I also heard my 3rd Blackcap of the year - the other 2 were whilst walking the dogs near my home in Uckfield.


A splendid couple of hours birding, made much more productive with the help of some friends.

Thanks guys!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.