Monday 25 February 2019

23/02/2019 With Paul and the group in the Chichester area.

Saturday 23 February 2019


I spent another great day out with Paul and the group, this time in the Chichester area.  After the early morning mist settled we enjoyed magnificent weather with glorious sunshine and little or no wind.  Altogether we saw 67 species including some rather special ones.

Fist stop was Selsey Bill for a spot of seawatching. 
  • This turned out to be a non-event with no birds on the move.  I think I provided the highlight when I walked into a roadside pool, getting my feet very wet!

At Church Norton things improved rapidly.
  • Perhaps the most strange sighting was the long-staying Hooded Crow, spotted by Gareth, on the east side of the harbour entrance.
  • The Firecrest, spotted by Paul in the tree by the church in the car park, was our most attractive bird and we enjoyed some cracking close views. 
  • Other birds of interest seen included my first Whimbrel of the year, a Peregrine, lots of Knot, good numbers of Grey Plover and hundreds of Brent Geese.

We finished the day at West Dean Woods where we enjoyed the scenery and the birds in the afternoon sunshine.
  • I saw my first Hawfinch of 2019, a fleeting view as it flew away from us.  Hopefully I will get better views later on at Lynford arboretum in Norfolk but for now I was only too pleased to see one here in Sussex.
  • Marsh Tit, Brambling and Red Kite were also great additions to our day list. 

14 very happy bunnies - thanks Paul and Gareth!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.