Monday 10 September 2018

09/09/2018 With the SOS at Arlington Reservoir

Sunday 9 September 2018
Arlington Reservoir
Sussex Ornithological Society (SOS)
Leader:  Mark Wright

I spent the morning on a leisurely stroll around Arlington Reservoir as part of a group of 12, all members of the Sussex Ornithological Society (SOS).  Mark Wright, our leader, took us on a more circuitous route than my usual perimeter plod, taking in an additional section from the dam out towards Arlington Church before re-joining the main path at the opposite end of the dam.  Altogether we saw 35 species.

  • The bird of the day was a female Redstart which showed well on the fence line of the field when we headed out towards the church from the dam end.
  • Canada Geese were by far the most abundant species with numbers in the hundreds.
  • A couple of Common Sandpipers caught our interest.
  • At least 25 House Martins dominated the skies with only a small number of Swallows with them.
  • Several Kestrels, a Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk also put in an appearance.

This was my first outing with the SOS for years and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I shall go on as many of the future events as I can to ensure I get good coverage of the birds of Sussex as well as benefiting from the expertise of the SOS guiding team. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.