Thursday 6 September 2018

04/09/2018 Missed the Osprey then just missed the Semipalmated Sandpiper

Tuesday 4 September 2018


At Weirwood today, after I had finished my snake survey, I saw the long-staying Great White Egret at the west end as I walked back to the car.  Unfortunately I left before the Osprey was sighted around lunchtime.

Just before 6 pm I got a call from Matt Eade and a text from Alastair Gray about a Semipalmated Sandpiper on the River Cuckmere just south of Exceat Bridge.  This being a "lifer" prompted me to leave immediately and head down to the south coast.  Alas the bird had flown downstream with some Dunlin and, despite our best efforts it was never seen again.  I guess I was 20 minutes too late.

 
Thanks Matt and Alastair - much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.