Wednesday 18 October 2023

Not so good Ring Ouzel but a fabulous Long-billed Dowitcher

Ring Ouzel

I have had a hard time finding Ring Ouzel this year.  

  • I had no luck whatsoever at Cissbury Ring - one of the hotspots in West Sussex. 
  • Despite 3 visits to Shooter's Bottom and 1 to the Horseshoe Plantation, both hotspots in East Sussex, all I had was a nanosecond view of one as it relocated from one bush to an adjacent one at Shooter's Bottom on Sunday 15th October 2023



Long-billed Dowitcher 

I had no trouble at all finding this American vagrant on the morning of 17th October 2023,  just down the road at Cuckmere Haven.  The bird was first seen yesterday afternoon.
  • The bird was showing well on the mud at the far side of the meanders of the Cuckmere.  It was with Dunlin, a Knot and some Redshanks.


As I was leaving, Alison arrived and she kindly sent me the following photos to recollect on the mornings experience.  The flight view was exceptional.













All pictures courtesy of Alison Playle




Although this was not a lifer for me this was the first in Sussex for 30 years or so, making it a bird of special interest.


 2023 species count = 198


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.