Thursday 6 April 2023

A few twitches to boost my 2023 species list

Thursday 23rd March 2023

Ashdown Forest, Sussex


I was not having any luck surveying Dartford Warbler on my patch so I asked Martin if I could join him on his next formal survey on his - as expected, he agreed.

It was wet underfoot and very windy - far from ideal conditions.  Eventually we heard one from the nearby gorse bushes and I managed to get a short, but sweet, glimpse of the bird before it dropped down into the scrub.


Thanks Martin!


Monday 27th March 2023

Blackdown, Sussex

Next I was off to the far end of the county to twitch the long-staying Great Grey Shrike at Blackdown NT.  After a while I saw it - sitting proudly at the top of a bush, close to the Serpent Trail.  All I had to do then was to sit back and admire the lovely scope views.


courtesy of Colin Holter and Twitter


Well worth the long drive!


Tuesday 28th March 2023

Weir Wood Reservoir, Sussex

I saw my first Sand Martins of 2023 as I was carrying out our first snake survey of the year on Pintail Bank.  There was a small flock of around 15 fling around the middle of the stretch of water by the tern rafts.



2023 species count = 132




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.