Friday 8 October 2021

Beaten by the weather in Cumbria

Weekend of 1st to 2nd October 2021

Cumbria


I had high hopes of some birding before and after the school reunion on Friday evening in Workington.  However the foul weather scuppered all my plans.  

  • The best I could do was a walk with my niece along the banks of the River Derwent in Workington during a rare period when there was no rain. Normally I would see Dippers here - but not today!  The water level was so high that all the normal cobbled islands and channels were submerged and we had a really swift flowing river - hardly suitable for Dippers.  The best I could find was a small family of Mallards, a Grey Heron and a Goosander.  Half way through, the heavens opened and we were drenched.  I don't think my niece will go birding with me again in the foreseeable future!

Saturday's weather was much the same so I decided to head back to Sussex after visiting Brian at his home on the way out of Workington around midday.  The weather deteriorated as I travelled and I was grateful to get back home around 19.20 after a difficult journey.


Great to attend the reunion,  sadly didn't meet up with all the family and there were hardly any birding opportunities.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.