Friday 4 June 2021

Staying Local for Tree Pipits, Dartford Warblers, Redstarts, Nightjars and Woodcock

 Week beginning Sunday 30th May 2021


Nightjars

I made 4 night visits to the Ashdown Forest this week to follow up my successful trip on 19th May.

  • On Sunday 30th May I heard a Nightjar churring on my patch at Churlwood but did not see the bird.
  • The following day I was with Martin and Ian at the Old Airstrip to hear at least 3 churring Nightjars but again no sightings.
  • Our luck changed at Hindleap the next day where we saw 3 Nightjars and the views were superb.  Incredibly, this time, there was no churring!
  • Sadly, not a single Woodcock showed up on any of these visits.




Tree Pipits
  • I heard this bird at the Old Airstrip  on Monday evening but I was facing the strong evening sun so couldn't see it.
  • Yesterday, whilst walking around Poundgate, I came across another, singing away merrily at the top of a large bush.  I even had time to observe it flying, doing its characteristic parachuting action to land on the same bush.  Most entertaining!


Dartford Warblers, Redstarts and Yellowhammers

  • It's been a good year for me for Dartford Warbler, probably because I have spent more time locally in the Ashdown Forest.  This week there was one at the Old Airstrip and another at Poundgate.  What a pity there were none on my patch at Churlwood where I have been doing a survey!
  • Redstarts were much in evidence at Old Lodge with some stunning sightings.
  • Yesterday was a particularly good day for Yellowhammers with at least 4 singing males showing well as I moved around the site.


Snakes at Weir Wood

Finally the snakes have appeared in decent numbers at Weir Wood with 8 seen on Tuesday morning.





Lots of birding time this week - so enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.