Sunday 10 January 2021

Lockdown Birding

The situation with regard to Covid 19 has reached crisis level and a second lockdown was introduced earlier this week effectively confining us to the home.  This didn't change too much for Sue and me as we have been self isolating since last March but it did mean even less use of the car.  My only birding opportunities have come from dog walking/exercising etc. Nevertheless I have recorded some sightings and they are summarised below.


  • It was relatively easy to add Feral Pigeon, Greenfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Sparrowhawk to my list on Wednesday 6th January when I ventured north.
  • A walk south saw me adding Bullfinch, Fieldfare, Kestrel and Yellowhammer to the list on Thursday.
  • I returned next day and headed even further south by the River Ouse to find the long-staying Little Owl - easily my bird of the week.  The fieldfares ran it a close second - they were there in good numbers feeding on the ground before flying up into into the tall trees.  I also added my first Green Woodpecker of 2021 to the list.
  • On Saturday afternoon I walked to Buxted Park and waited till dusk hoping to see the Barn Owl.  I was just about to give up and walk home d the lovely bird flew over my head before disappearing behind the main wall.


Just like in the first lockdown, I am making the most of the local birding - enjoying the exercise and appreciating whatever birds I find.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.