Monday 16 September 2019

15/09/2019 Back twitching - eastern olivaceus warbler in Hampshire

Sunday 15 September 2019
Farlington Marshes, Hampshire Wildlife Trust


I enjoyed my first twitch since April when I crossed the border into Hampshire today.  On a glorious afternoon, with bright sunshine and no wind, it was a real treat to be by the sea at Farlington Marshes on the outskirts of Portsmouth.

  • A rare vagrant from SE Europe, the eastern olivaceous warbler turned up here yesterday lunchtime just as I was setting off for the Brighton fixture with Burnley at the Amex so I was unable to go then.  Thankfully it stayed and I got my chance today.  
 
  • There must have been over 30 birders in place as I arrived but the bird was not showing.  I didn't have to wait too long before I saw it flitting around the tall bushes  25 metres in front of me.  Eventually I managed to get good scope views of the bird. 

  • The key characteristics for me were the flat forehead and the long narrow bill, coupled with flickering tail movements as it moved about. 

courtesy of Simon Colenutt and twitter

    

  • After that it was just a case of waiting and enjoying the repeating pattern of the bird disappearing into the scrub and then reappearing soon afterwards. 
  • courtesy of Matthew Deans and twitter 

A relatively easy twitch, with good views of a bird that reminded me a lot of a reed warbler.
 
    A "lifer" for me, my sixth this year and number 353 on my life list.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.