Wednesday 22 May 2019

22/05/2019 Ashdown Forest: Nightjars, Woodcock and Tree Pipits RIP Terry Priest

Wednesday 22nd May 2019
Ashdown Forest, Sussex

My first attempt to see Nightjars in 2019 was a resounding success with 4 sightings on two sites 100 metres apart.  Definitely 2 birds, male and female, but probably 4.

  • The first sighting was from Brian and Jane's seat just south of the Hindleap car park.  Clive and I heard the first churring at 21.12 then had magnificent views of the bird flying around, wing clapping and  calling with the familiar cuick sound. 

  • Another sighting at 21.22 before we headed up the hill to the favourite tree from previous years where we saw the male and female flying low over the ground - again the views were terrific in the superb lighting.




     
I also had Tree Pipit and roding Woodcock on my bucket list and I was rewarded with good sightings of both species.

  • As I walked from the car park down to Brian and Jane's seat I could hear Tree Pipits singing and just after I arrived at the seat, I got the superb view that I wanted as the bird sang from the top of a high bush just 20 metres from me.

  • Normally I see Woodcock first then Nightjars afterwards but that didn't happen tonight. It wasn't until 21.24 that I saw my first Woodcock - nearly 15 minutes after the Nightjar appeared.  Eventually I recorded 3 sightings of this lovely bird.  I had seen this species earlier in the year but my preference will always be to see it roding in the Ashdown Forest.

  • By way of a bonus Clive and I heard Tawny Owls calling at regular intervals during our stay.

A great night!
 
RIP Terry - I will miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.