Saturday 1 February 2014

29/01/14 No Owls or Black Redstarts but plenty of Purple Sandpipers

Wednesday 29th January 2014
Newhaven Tide Mills

Decided to try again for Short-eared Owls at Rodmell after drawing a blank there last week.  I made an early afternoon start so I decided to try Tide Mills first to look for the Black Redstarts that had been reported there lately.  Weather conditions were not good but I wanted to get out for a couple of hours at least.

On the coast the winds were strong and soon it started to rain.  I had no luck with the Redstarts but when I ventured onto the east pier I came across at least 10 Purple Sandpipers below the pier on the high tide water level.  At least I had something to show for my efforts.  On the way back I saw a flock of 12 or so Greenfinches on the pebble beach and a couple of Herring Gulls.

By the time I got back to the car to relocate to Rodmell for the Short-eared Owl search it was raining very hard and the skyline indicated it was likely to remain so for the rest of the day.  With this in mind I decided to cut my losses and head home.

I was pleased to have squeezed in a couple of hours birdwatching even if I had not seen very many species.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.